海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: Marathon of Hope
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 Marathon of Hope   
freelance
[博客]

头衔: 海归少校

头衔: 海归少校
声望: 学员

加入时间: 2010/04/25
文章: 52

海归分: 10100

文章标题: Marathon of Hope (1880 reads)      时间: 2010-9-30 周四, 11:31

作者:freelance海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

September 29, 2010

As my little boy's school is going to hold its annual Terry Fox Run on the last day of September 2010, he fetched a book about Terry Fox from the library a while ago. He used to join the run or more appropriately walk for three years in a row when he was still at Children's House. Now he seems to understand to dig more after he turns to Grade 1 this year.

I have been reading the book with the little guy for the past week. I have to admit that, even though I had heard his name so many times before, I had never cared to know about the story of Terry Fox until now . After we finished the story yesterday, I was totally shocked and deeply touched.

Terry was born in an ordinary family in Manitoba, Canada in 1958. Like any other boy of his age, he was an enthusiastic athlete, playing soccer, rugby and basketball from childhood. When he was still dreaming to become physical education teacher upon graduation from the university, he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a kind of bone cancer in 1977. After his right leg was amputated, he went through chemotherapy for 16 months. During this period, he experienced the unbearable pain himself and witnessed how other fellow cancer patients suffered and died. From then on, he had found a new mission in his life: To raise the awareness of cancer research among ordinary people and seek their support to fund cancer research to provide cure for cancer patients by running across Canada. After rigorous training to get use to run with his artificial right leg, the Marathon of Hope began in April 1980 from the east coast of Canada. His endeavour inspired so many people across Canada and worldwide. After running 5,373 kilometres for 143 days, his journey ended abruptly in the mid-point with the unfortunate return of cancer to his lung. Terry Fox died in 1981, just one month before his 23th birthday. His grand dream to run across Canada did not materialize. Nevertheless, his legacy has remained. By the time of his death, he raised close to $23 million. In the same year, Terry Fox Foundation was established and headed by Darrell Fox, his younger brother who had accompanied him throughout the whole journey. Also in the same year, the annual Terry Fox Run was first held. Over the past decades, this event has grown to involve millions of participants in 60 countries and is now the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research. To date, more than CAD500 million have been raised in his name to the Foundation.

My little boy asked many questions during this week-long reading. In response to one of his questions about cancer, I told him the story of my mentor's wife whom he always addresses as auntie. She had tumor in her foot a couple of years ago. With her usual optimistic attitude, it was cured miraculously. Last year, however, two new tumors were spotted in her lung and breast. She underwent two surgeries within one day at St. Margaret's Hospital in Toronto followed by a series of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Every time I see her during and after the ordeal, she still talks so merrily and looks healthier than I am. Initially I felt so sorry for her. Afterwards I have found it unnecessary. Why? Because she does not need sympathy. She has the same firing spirit as Terry Fox and therefore they are the survivor in their own respective way.

When I picked up my little guy at school this afternoon, he eagerly showed me his pledge for Terry Fox Run the next day on a small paper leaf pinned to the wall in the classroom along with other leaves that have formed a tree. On the paper leaf, he wrote: 23 laps to save auntie. I smiled. When a generation has been educated to believe in compassion and voluntary giving since childhood through a young Canadian named Terry Fox, the Marathon of Hope continues on.

Terry Fox in Toronto during the Marathon of Hope

Terry Fox in Toronto on July 12, 1980
Source: Wikipedia

作者:freelance海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

上一次由freelance于2010-10-03 周日, 00:36修改,总共修改了8次

相关主题
【老沙射影】不许人间见白头---《希望之泉》(Hope Spring)观后 海归茶馆 2012-9-18 周二, 16:41
Renee Fleming: Dark Hope -- Endlessly 高山流水 2012-4-24 周二, 10:34
送回家的海石 I HOPE YOU DANCE by 梨花侵梦 英文歌曲 2011-11-03 周四, 09:34
Hope floats. 陈光标的钱墙秀超级震撼 散财1.2亿 (ZT) 海归商务 2011-1-24 周一, 23:46
鲍勃霍普(Bob Hope)的百岁人生------数风趣人物,还看今宵(系列2) 生活风情 2009-5-21 周四, 01:56
"Hope" and "Change&quo... 海归主坛 2009-3-24 周二, 12:31
[影片]I hope this is my wedding party 生活风情 2008-12-27 周六, 06:16
很久沒有見到小泡泡了。請老斑竹回來。Hope everyone has a 生活风情 2008-11-27 周四, 04:36

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 freelance离线  发送站内短信 浏览发表者的主页
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.