海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: Seattle Times: UW professor pleads guilty in waste case
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 Seattle Times: UW professor pleads guilty in waste case   
healthaegis
[博客]

头衔: 海归准将

头衔: 海归准将
声望: 学员
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2006/03/21
文章: 250

海归分: 125207

文章标题: Seattle Times: UW professor pleads guilty in waste case (1196 reads)      时间: 2007-3-09 周五, 05:03   

作者:healthaegis海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

UW professor pleads guilty in waste case
https://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003607035_uwprof08m0.html

By Nick Perry
Seattle Times staff reporter

A respected University of Washington pharmacology professor became a felon Wednesday when he acknowledged dumping a flammable substance down a laboratory sink and then trying to conceal his actions.

Daniel Storm, 62, pleaded guilty in federal court to violating the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act by flushing about four liters of the solvent ethyl ether. He faces a maximum five years in prison and a $250,000 fine when sentenced June 18, although prosecutors have recommended probation under the terms of a plea agreement.

Storm, who continues to work at the university, has been there nearly 30 years and has enjoyed a "very productive" career, said Tina Mankowski, a spokeswoman for the UW School of Medicine.

"It was just a stupid mistake," Storm said Wednesday. "I've had a perfect record here. I've admitted this and said, 'I'm sorry.' "

"The University of Washington views this as a serious event, and accordingly, a faculty disciplinary process is under way," Mankowski said. "A range of remedial and/or disciplinary actions is under consideration."

The plea agreement states that in June 2006, UW health and safety inspectors found three metal and two glass containers of ether in Storm's lab which, because of the age of the substance, required disposal.

But Storm balked at the estimated $15,000 cost, which would have come out of a lab operations fund. So later that month he took an ax to some of the containers and flushed the contents down the sink, according to the agreement. He kept one container intact.

Where the sink drains is not clear.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim Oesterle said Storm then tried to cover himself by preparing a false voucher from a fictitious company indicating he'd properly disposed of the substance. UW inspectors discovered the voucher was fake and alerted authorities; when confronted, Oesterle said, Storm admitted his actions.

Oesterle said there is no misdemeanor charge for this particular type of crime. It's unusual to charge someone who has dumped such a small volume, Oesterle said, but he found Storm's actions particularly appalling.

Using the ax was particularly dangerous, Oesterle added, because a spark could easily have ignited the ether.

"Someone in that position ought to know better and appreciate the risks of improper disposal, and follow the correct procedures regardless of expense," Oesterle said.

"He also took steps to cover it up, which we consider egregious."

Storm said he used the ax "just because it was handy" and because the lids on some containers were stuck tight.

"I knew what I'd done was probably wrong, but I didn't realize the penalties," Storm said. "This is a totally strange thing for me."

Mankowski said inspectors routinely attempt to check the health and safety of every UW lab at least once a year.

The disposal cost was a "high-end" estimate from an outside company which might have been reduced if other labs also needed to dispose of hazardous materials at the same time.

Mankowski said she was unaware of any similar incidents at the university.

Acute exposure to ethyl ether, which was once used as a general anesthetic, can cause irritation of the nose and eyes, dizziness, acute excitement, drowsiness and vomiting, according to the U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety & Health Administration Web site.

作者:healthaegis海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
[贴图][BW新闻] Madoff Pleads Guilty - Clo... 海归主坛 2009-3-14 周六, 11:41
[转帖]中国烟民达2.81亿 控烟进入瓶颈期 NY Times 海归主坛 2014-1-11 周六, 12:09
[新闻]李显龙警告中国不要轻视美国(New York Times) (95... 海归主坛 2012-9-09 周日, 05:55
LA Times:In China, more money but not... 海归茶馆 2012-5-24 周四, 22:25
中国女性“占领男厕所” (转 Financial Times) 海归茶馆 2012-3-01 周四, 21:04
NY Times: Why China’s Political Model... 海归商务 2012-2-18 周六, 18:44
'Times 谈股论金 2011-11-25 周五, 09:54
Florida vs. Atlanta vs. Seattle vs. L... 海归商务 2011-11-21 周一, 22:40

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 healthaegis离线  发送站内短信
  • Seattle Times: UW professor pleads guilty in waste case -- healthaegis - (3699 Byte) 2007-3-09 周五, 05:03 (1196 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.