海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [分享]US 401K early withdrawal by non-resident (H1-B)从美国提前取退休金
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [分享]US 401K early withdrawal by non-resident (H1-B)从美国提前取退休金   
功夫王
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 专家
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/02/21
文章: 6733
来自: 美国,加拿大,中国
海归分: 531677

文章标题: [分享]US 401K early withdrawal by non-resident (H1-B)从美国提前取退休金 (2666 reads)      时间: 2007-5-31 周四, 11:00   

作者:功夫王海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

中文的解说:

SarahRajiv作为一个在美国的H1-B的工作人员,现已离开美国,希望把401K或者IRA或者RothIRA转到美国以外,希望在允许范围以内减低美国税。

SarahRajiv解决方案:
如果401K,或者IRA,每年提出最小上税以下的额度(大约15,000美元),交美国政府10%的penalty.提现转走。
如果是RothIRA,可以一次提出,交美国政府10%的penalty.提现转走。

他的问题:
SarahRajiv Join Date: Aug 2006

401K early withdrawal by non-resident

Hello
I was working in the US until July 1st of this year (and since 2003). Ever since I have been living and working in the UK. I had earned about $46000 gross in my previous company in the US in those 6 months. I have about $20000 in my 401K account. I was planning to transfer all my 401K balances, but when I called Fidelity and explained my situation, the customer service rep said I could avoid the 20% withholding and the 10% penalty if I filled in the Form 8BEN for foreign beneficiaries. Now, after a lot more "forms-reading" and google searches I have still not got all my questions answered. I really hope the experts on this forum will help me

1. I had lived in the USA this year for exactly 182 days and will be in the UK for the remaining 183 days. Can I claim to be a non-resident alien for using the foreign beneficiary form to not withhold 20% off my 401K return ? I believe I can claim to be a non-resident because I was a resident of another country after July 1st. UK-USA seem to have a treaty and it appears there would be 0% withholding on pensions and annuities according to page 37 of publication 515 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p515.pdf). I am not sure if I am perhaps interpreting the treaty wrongly

2. Even if the US source (Fidelity) does not withhold tax will I end up paying that when I file tax returns in 2007 for year 2006 ? I dont know if I should file tax return as a dual status alien or a resident alien by virtue of the substantial presence test.

3. Will I have to pay tax in UK for the 401K transfer for funds ? It is really money being transferred from my bank account in USA to bank account in UK. So there is no way the UK tax department would know its 401K money.

I believe if I do not do any of the things above and ask for early withdrawal from the 401K, I could lose as much as $9000 of my $20000 401K fund in taxes and penalties. Would I benefit by withdrawing the money in 2007 instead ? I would prefer to do that only if the money saved is atleast $1000, other wise I may have to bite the bullet and take it out now.

I really am at the mercy of the internet because being in the UK I cannot even approach a US tax advisor. I appreciate the help so much.

Cheers,
Rajiv

他的解决办法:
Sep 19, 2006, 12:13 PM #8
SarahRajiv
We decided that best alternative for us was to not transfer to a pension fund here but to withdraw out of american 401K every year so that we would be below taxable income but lose the 10% penalty everytime. This would give us the most money, but in our pockets. Ofcourse you would need to file a W8BEN to make sure fidelity does not automatically withhold 20% on tax from this annual withdrawal.

I was told it would be possible to roll-over the 401K plan into my current UK pension plan, but I never bothered to enquire further into it because even if I make a loss, the 401K money is more valuable to me in the next few years as cash than inside a pension fund.

作者:功夫王海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
[分享]投资不再是富人游戏:美国正式开放股权众筹 世界日报 海归主坛 2015-11-03 周二, 14:17
[分享]债券大王格罗斯称 美国陷入衰退的几率显著提高, 逆市增持美国债,不... 谈股论金 2011-8-22 周一, 04:36
法国老移民 退休后回原籍国仍可享受福利 海外移民 2007-8-17 周五, 15:41
法国老移民退休后回原籍国仍可享受福利 海外移民 2007-6-12 周二, 14:29
[分享]美国政治常识(2): 总统和权力 by J.Yan 海归主坛 2020-8-02 周日, 10:40
[分享]想在美国医闹 直接被警察敲断胳膊带走 凤凰网 海归茶馆 2016-2-12 周五, 23:32
[分享]我这样的还要接着在美国混吗? 努力成为数据人才博客 海归主坛 2016-1-07 周四, 09:31
[分享]去了美国后,才发现中国人的人生观如此扭曲 bpbxd博客 海归茶馆 2015-11-07 周六, 13:33

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 功夫王离线  发送站内短信 MSN
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.